The value of cardiovascular episode is vital to your health span. As mentioned in this latest podcast, I want to inspire everyone to get out there 150 minutes a week or more. Here are the guidelines for the NEWBIE athlete to start a walking plan.
1. Choose 3 non-consecutive days and mark off your time to walk - it is non-negotiable
2. Decide on the length of time to walk - I recommend 20 to 30 minutes - you may opt for a little less in the beginning
3. Every 2 weeks at one more day until you reach 6 to 7 days a week
4. You should be able to carry on a conversation, but remember to walk with a bit of energy - if you get breathless, stop and rest.
5. Carry water and cellphone - some people enjoy listening to a book or music
6. Walk on a treadmill if the outside weather is uncomfortable - start at 2.5 mph and increase speed slowly to a pace that is comfortable
7. Keep a journal to record your efforts or wear a fitness tracker and use an app like STRAVA to record your progress
8. After 2 months - evaluate your progress and set new goals
9. Remember to warmup and cooldown -
10. Enjoy the journey to a strong healthy heart, mind and body!